If you are getting “Boot failed” error when you start a UEFI-enabled computer from a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 installation DVD then you can fix this error by the available process to fix boot failed error in windows 7 in this article. When you are trying to boot from cd or DVD in windows 7 or windows server 2008 based computer then you may receive boot failed error. Due to the boot failed error you cannot boot your system and if you want to repair or format your system from the windows installation cd then you cannot able to do this due to boot failed error. So it is must to resolve the boot failed error in your system.
Causes of boot failed error in windows
The boot failed error occurs due to the boot manager. When the boot manager compares two devices signatures incorrectly then you may receive the boot failed error. The devices signatures which are compared are EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) device signature that is available in the extended boot record (EBR) and the device signature is available in the MBR (master boot record) that is why you are facing this error.
Solution of booting failed error in windows
First of all copy windows files that are in the windows installation cd into the computer hard disk temporary folder. After that you have to download the 417821_intl_x64_zip.exe –x hot fix and then run the following commands into the command prompt.
Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:<pathto>boot.wim
Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:<pathto>Install.wim
After running these commands you have to apply the hot fix into your computer to do this follow these steps.
- In the command prompt type md c:\Mount to create a mount folder and then execute the Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:c:\Bin\Sources\Boot.wim /Index:<index number> /MountDir:c:\Mount command.
- After that you have to execute Dism /image:c:\Mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:”c:\982929\Windows6.1-kb982929-x64.msu” command in the command prompt to apply the hot fix.
- When the hot fix applied then run Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:c:\Mount /commit command to unmount the wim file.
- Now again type md c:\Mount to create a mount folder and then run Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:c:\Bin\Sources\Install.wim /Index:<index number> /MountDir:c:\Mount command to install wim file.
- After installing wim file execute Dism /image:c:\Mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:”c:\982929\Windows6.1-kb982929-x64.msu” and then unmount from the Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:c:\Mount /commit command.