Microsoft Windows OS always keeps itself updated with changing times and its requirements. That is why it always keeps Microsoft office updated also. So, I hope you have heard that on April 8, 2014, Microsoft ended support for office 2003. This change has affected your software updates and security options..
When Microsoft office users open a workbook in Microsoft Excel, then they may receive the following error message:
This workbook contains links to other data sources.
- If they update the links, Excel attempts to retrieve the latest data.
- If they do not update, Excel uses the previous information.
If they click on the Update then they receive the following error messages:
This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated.
- Click on the Edit Links to change the source of links, or attempt to update values again.
- Click on the Continue to open the workbook as is.
There are mainly two causes of Error opening workbook containing links to HTML workbook in Excel. These two causes are as following:
- Excel cannot links from a workbook that is saved in the HTML file format if that workbook is closed
- Excel updates the links correctly if the link source file is already opened.
As we know that Excel can be linked to html but the format of both (html and Excel) are different so before updating link in workbook open the html file which is linked in workbook in Excel because Excel cannot update links from a workbook which is saved in html format.
Fix netsvc.exe error using Advanced System Repair Tool