If you are running Windows 7 or windows 8 operating system and have installed Microsoft Publisher, sometimes when you try to start a publication in Microsoft Publisher then you might have received windows error “Publisher cannot open the file.” Microsoft Publisher file contains OLE objects. If this file gets corrupt then this error occurs. You know that OLE is a program integration technology which you can share information between the programs. OLE program also used in Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation. You should try to fix this error because if you don’t fix this error then you are won’t be able to use publisher software and also after some days you may face other system problems.
Why windows error “Publisher cannot open the file” occurs?
- Microsoft Publisher file consist of OLE program which is very important while publishing a document, it may happens that this program may get corrupt.
- Virus makes this OLE program to corrupt, because virus can corrupt the system files which you are running in your system.
What are the symptoms?
According to you need you can install any of the version of Microsoft Publisher in your system. Sometimes when you try to open your installed Microsoft publisher for working on it then you receive error message in your windows screen, depending on the versions which you installed in your system.
If you have installed Microsoft Publisher 2000 then you get this error message:-
“Publisher cannot open this file. This is not a Publisher file.”
Microsoft Publisher 2002 or Microsoft Office Publisher 2003:
“Publisher cannot open the file.”
Microsoft Office Publisher 2007:
“Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to open. To protect your computer, Publisher
will not open the file.”
How to fix this windows error?
If you want to fix this error manually then you have to attach the PromptForBadFiles subkey in your windows registry. The subkey under which you will add in the windows registry depends on the version of publisher which you are using:-
To add the PromptForBadFiles subkey in the above foowing windows registry and If you are Windows vista user you have work on the given below steps:-
If you are Windows vista user then follows the given steps:-
- First of all close publisher and then click on start button and then type regedit in the search box and then press enter.
- Then click on continue button if you have submitted administrative password. When the registry editor opens then select the registry key:-
- At the top you will see the edit menu and from this menu click on new option and then DWORD value.
- In the DWORD value type PromptForBadFiles and hit enter. When the new page opens then right click on the PromptForBadFiles and then click on the Modify option.
- Type the value 1 in the value data box and then click on ok button. Then exit windows registry editor.
If you need you can also use third party repair tool to fix this Microsoft Publisher error and publisher your documents easily.