When you start your system and try to install windows update then you might have received windows error 0x80240020. This is the uncommon error which you receive very rarely in your computer. Windows update is the most necessary part of your system if you avoid instaling updates then your system will not run smoothly. This error 0x80240020 occurs when windows update is not capable to confirm the update.inf file. Windows error 0x80240020 occurs in windows XP, windows vista and windows 7 , including windows 8. You need to remove this window 0x80240020 as soon as possible. Because this error will prevent you from installing updates and proper running of programs.
Why windows error 0x80240020 occurs?
- Windows error 0x80240020 generates due to the successively running of virus in your system.
- When Microsoft update is not bale to authenticate the update.inf file then this error occurs.
- It may be also due to the registry file which might be corrupted or damaged.
What are the sympotms?
When you start your computer and attempt to install windows update or try to run a program or application then you receive this windows error 0x80240020.
How to fix windows error 0x80240020?
You have to rename Catroot2 folder to remove this error, but the renaming of this is only applicable in Windows XP and windows server 2003. This method is not applicable in windows vista, windows 2000 or windows server 2008.
- So to rename the Catroot2 folder do the following process:-
- Open notepad and then copy and paste the following commands in the notepad:-
- net stop cryptsvc
- cd %systemroot%\system32
- ren catroot2 catroot2old
- net start cryptsvc
- Now save the notepad file as the rename.bat in your desktop.
- When the rename.bat file gets saved, then double click the rename.bat file so that these files would be registered in windows registry.
- Then again install the windows update.
- You also need to keep updating your registered antivirus.
- Also remove the programs from your system which is outdated.
- If you are able to install windows update properly without getting any trouble then delete this rename.bat file from your system.
If you are not willing to fix this error by following above given process then use third party repair tool. This tool is applicable for all the versions of windows operating system. By using this tool you will not able to fix only this windows error rename.bat but also you can fix other windows errors.